Batman: Gotham Knights Online Forum

Welcome to the Gotham Knights Online dedicated community forum. If you're a Batman fan, then come join us, make new friends and talk about the Dark Knight and share your thoughts.
 
HomeLog inFAQRegister

Share | 
 

 What's your favorite bat symbol?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Wed May 26, 2010 10:20 pm

Because of trying to come up with a GKO logo fashioned from the bat symbol (see the "Fan Art" section), I've been thinking recently about the bat symbol and how it's evolved over time. I personally like the yellow oval bat symbol the best; I think it's the most iconic, best looking (especially when he's standing in the shadows and all you can see are his eyes and the symbol on his chest), and I like the reasoning behind it (it's a target on the most armored part of his suit).

But I've come to realize it's not the favorite of many people, so I wanted to ask here; what's your favorite bat symbol, and more importantly, why?

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
AndrewT
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 225
Join date : 2009-10-26
Age : 43
Location : Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Wed May 26, 2010 10:58 pm

I have no favorites actually. I like them all. Smile

Personally, the oval emblem reminds me of the Silver-Age Batman. It's iconic but it's a little old-school.

I'm sure DC had really good reasons for updating the emblem design. One reason I can think of is that as comics evolve, so do the characters. Batman needed to keep with the times and I totally agree with the emblem revamp. The modern one looks great too.

_________________


Last edited by AndrewT on Thu May 27, 2010 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sergiot0831
Gotham Knight Reader
avatar

Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-05-22
Age : 26
Location : Riverside california

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Thu May 27, 2010 12:22 am

I really like the bat symbol from the dark knight poster. The bat symbol is sort of cracking and you can see a bright light behind it. I know batman doesn't actually wear this sign, I just like the overall effect of it, it's somehow epic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheXtremisT
Gotham Knight Reader
avatar

Posts : 66
Join date : 2010-05-23
Age : 27
Location : Batcave

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Thu May 27, 2010 5:33 am

I liked the yellow oval one, because I remember it from TAS, and recognise it to be the most iconic logo
But atm I prefer just the black bat symbol, I really like the costume from Year One

So I think just the black bat is the best
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Thu May 27, 2010 9:19 am

The only way I can look at the new logo on the costume and not get disappointed is by justifying it as being slightly more stealthy overall. But for me, the oval will always be THE bat symbol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
jondoe297
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 440
Join date : 2009-02-27
Age : 37

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Fri May 28, 2010 1:20 pm

you know dude - I'm exactly the same. I've always been a little disappointed when I see the black logo. I'm gutted Neil Adam's isn't using the oval in Odyssey Sad

_________________
"It's not who I am underneath... but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.gothamknightsonline.com
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Fri May 28, 2010 2:35 pm

Aww, bummer! At least they're using it for Batman: Earth One!

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
iod1974
Gotham Knight Reader
avatar

Posts : 94
Join date : 2010-10-27
Age : 42
Location : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:36 am

1970's yellow oval. It is what I grew up with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iod1974
Gotham Knight Reader
avatar

Posts : 94
Join date : 2010-10-27
Age : 42
Location : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:00 pm

I found this on youtube. Great review of many bat symbols. What I think is cool is that they are all great in their own way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSgpu0aGKG8&feature=related
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:02 am

iod1974 wrote:
What I think is cool is that they are all great in their own way.

It's very true. But yay for another yellow oval fan!

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
avatar

Posts : 247
Join date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:12 pm

For some reason, I have always dug the Batman Beyond symbol. It's sharp, unique, means serious business.

And it's red. Totally pops. Black on red; imagine seeing that in the dark sky above you. Pretty snazzy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://facebook.com/virginia.pressnell
iod1974
Gotham Knight Reader
avatar

Posts : 94
Join date : 2010-10-27
Age : 42
Location : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:44 am

Yes the Red is amazing. My wife is not is into comics, but she saw my pile from this week with Batwoman #0 on top. My wife told me how impressed she was with the red colors over the black and white art. The red logo really pops out, I'd love to see it in a live action movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Batman Beyond or Batwoman live action? I'm down!

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
avatar

Posts : 247
Join date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:04 pm

gallegra wrote:
Batman Beyond or Batwoman live action? I'm down!

-Gary
Oh my gosh, me too. I rather have them do a BB movie instead of a Batwoman. Not a lot of people "know" her. They know of a female Bat but, I just think it would be a bad film. Maybe a animated series.. a good, edgy one for that matter.

A BB live action? I'm first in line. With CGI stuff and whatnot, they could definitely make it work and realistic. The Bat flicks have definitely came a long way when you think about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://facebook.com/virginia.pressnell
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:24 am

I agree! I used to be kinda bummed that they postponed a live action Beyond movie for Batman Begins, but hey...worse things could've happened.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
iod1974
Gotham Knight Reader
avatar

Posts : 94
Join date : 2010-10-27
Age : 42
Location : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:05 am

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Dick should get a new Bat symbol and not just wear Bruce's old design? Maybe a Nitewing/ Batman Mix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:06 pm

That's a really cool idea! I'd like it...

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
avatar

Posts : 247
Join date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:30 pm

iod1974 wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Dick should get a new Bat symbol and not just wear Bruce's old design? Maybe a Nitewing/ Batman Mix.
I don't think so. I like his symbol at the moment. It fits him, you know? Batman already has a new upgrade. I think the plain (to me it looks plain) costume suits him. And it is similar, Batman now has 3 colors going, Dick as Nightwing had only 2, and now he only has 2 as Batman. But honestly, since Bruce is back, I think Dick should just go back to being Nightwing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://facebook.com/virginia.pressnell
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:05 am

Fawks wrote:
But honestly, since Bruce is back, I think Dick should just go back to being Nightwing.

I dunno, as much as I love Nightwing I'd rather have him stay as Batman. But I've talked about this before, nobody seems to agree with me and my "crazy" comic continuity ideas haha.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
iod1974
Gotham Knight Reader
avatar

Posts : 94
Join date : 2010-10-27
Age : 42
Location : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:22 pm

When Reborn first started, I thought that DC was going to make Tim Drake the new Nitewing, but now I think they want him as Red Robbin for a long time (or as long as his book keeps selling well)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:07 pm

iod1974 wrote:
When Reborn first started, I thought that DC was going to make Tim Drake the new Nightwing, but now I think they want him as Red Robbin for a long time (or as long as his book keeps selling well)

I think you just hit the nail on the head...as long as Red Robin keeps selling, no matter what the fans want, they'll keep Tim as Red Robin. Although, personally, I wouldn't want him to be Nightwing. Nightwing was very much Dick's creation/persona...I think they did a good thing by making Tim develop the Red Robin mantle into his own thing.

-Gary

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
avatar

Posts : 247
Join date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:47 pm

gallegra wrote:
iod1974 wrote:
When Reborn first started, I thought that DC was going to make Tim Drake the new Nightwing, but now I think they want him as Red Robbin for a long time (or as long as his book keeps selling well)

I think you just hit the nail on the head...as long as Red Robin keeps selling, no matter what the fans want, they'll keep Tim as Red Robin. Although, personally, I wouldn't want him to be Nightwing. Nightwing was very much Dick's creation/persona...I think they did a good thing by making Tim develop the Red Robin mantle into his own thing.

-Gary

Oh, most definitely! I think it allowed them to make Drake "grow up", really. I feel like Dick was rushed to be an adult, but Drake really transitioned beautifully. I mean, I love his comic. I'm glad things worked out the way they did.
But still.. maybe if he had a few more runs as a Robin..

gallegra wrote:
Fawks wrote:
But honestly, since Bruce is back, I think Dick should just go back to being Nightwing.

I dunno, as much as I love Nightwing I'd rather have him stay as Batman. But I've talked about this before, nobody seems to agree with me and my "crazy" comic continuity ideas haha.

-Gary
Aw! I'm sure that's not true!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://facebook.com/virginia.pressnell
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:38 pm

It kinda is, haha, everyone here anyways shot me down. Basically, I feel like comic characters should age. Not necessarily in real-time (although that would be cool), but at least in some sort of order. Rather than Batman aging ten years and Dick aging like 20 years over a span of 70 years...it's just kinda annoying to me that there's no easy way to figure out how old characters are. I kinda like the idea of comics going in almost real time so that they can react more often to world events going on at the time, plus I would like to eventually see Bruce grow old and other people taking up the mantle in mainstream continuity.

I read the Superman & Batman Generations books, and I loved what they did. If you haven't read it, basically there are three volumes which show stories involving the Superman and Batman families in different decades. Of course, in that world Superman ages very slowly due to his Kryptonian heritage and Bruce regularly bathes in a Lazarus pit so that he can still mentor his children and do his own crime-fighting from time to time, but still; their children took over for them, and so on and so on. And I thought it was really cool.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
avatar

Posts : 247
Join date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:47 pm

gallegra wrote:
It kinda is, haha, everyone here anyways shot me down. Basically, I feel like comic characters should age. Not necessarily in real-time (although that would be cool), but at least in some sort of order. Rather than Batman aging ten years and Dick aging like 20 years over a span of 70 years...it's just kinda annoying to me that there's no easy way to figure out how old characters are. I kinda like the idea of comics going in almost real time so that they can react more often to world events going on at the time, plus I would like to eventually see Bruce grow old and other people taking up the mantle in mainstream continuity.

I read the Superman & Batman Generations books, and I loved what they did. If you haven't read it, basically there are three volumes which show stories involving the Superman and Batman families in different decades. Of course, in that world Superman ages very slowly due to his Kryptonian heritage and Bruce regularly bathes in a Lazarus pit so that he can still mentor his children and do his own crime-fighting from time to time, but still; their children took over for them, and so on and so on. And I thought it was really cool.

-Gary
That does sound interesting. I mean, it is a comic book. What would happen to future generations? "Long, long time ago, there was this character called 'Bruce Wayne' and he was a crime-fighting hero named 'Batman'. . . .". I don't want to hear that day. :[
Batman is timeless, and he should never have to die.. in the books (and disappear, he is obviously somewhat death-proof.).

But I'll check them out. It does sound interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://facebook.com/virginia.pressnell
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:52 pm

Fawks wrote:
Batman is timeless, and he should never have to die...in the books (and disappear, he is obviously somewhat death-proof).

That's the thing though; it's been touched on a bit recently with Bruce's "death" and all, that the Batman is a symbol, and always lives on. I mean, I can understand even from a moneymaking standpoint where it could be a bad idea to in 20-30 years have Bruce Wayne, who's been Batman for over 100 years by that point, suddenly have to retire and be replaced. But I also like the idea of what they played with in Generations, which we unfortunately only get to see in Elseworlds/Alternate Earth stories. Even the new Batman Beyond series is based on a different Earth (16 I think), and that's kinda disappointing to me.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite bat symbol?   

Back to top Go down
 
What's your favorite bat symbol?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Your favorite Tsundere? -o-
» what is (or was) your least favorite part of high school?
» Favorite Bible Verse(s)
» Least favorite Little House episode
» FAVORITE CEREALS? (you can have more than one)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Batman: Gotham Knights Online Forum :: GENERAL :: Batman General Discussion-
Jump to: