Batman: Gotham Knights Online Forum

Welcome to the Gotham Knights Online dedicated community forum. If you're a Batman fan, then come join us, make new friends and talk about the Dark Knight and share your thoughts.
 
HomeLog inFAQRegister

Share | 
 

 The Robin Throne

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:31 pm

ballpointbanana wrote:
Maybe I might go and pick up a trade or something

I've been thinking the same thing, now that I know some of the others here seem like her so much I feel like I should give her a chance haha.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
avatar

Posts : 247
Join date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:20 pm

gallegra wrote:
ballpointbanana wrote:
Maybe I might go and pick up a trade or something

I've been thinking the same thing, now that I know some of the others here seem like her so much I feel like I should give her a chance haha.

-Gary
You guys really should. I really feel like the art in the Batgirl issues, weren't really... flattering. In my opinion, it made her look like she was 15 or something. Really awkward, hard to adjust to art, but the story she fell into was alright. But what really dragged me in, was her demeanor.

She's definitely kickass. And she's not mute all the time. Hah.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://facebook.com/virginia.pressnell
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:28 pm

Fawks wrote:
She's definitely kickass. And she's not mute all the time. Hah.

Did not know that...

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
avatar

Posts : 247
Join date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:30 pm

gallegra wrote:
Fawks wrote:
She's definitely kickass. And she's not mute all the time. Hah.

Did not know that...

-Gary
Really now? But yeah, towards her "retirement" I guess you could call it that she started saying a bit more. I don't understand how any of it was intelligible though, due to her leather-skin-tight-cowl.. but it is a comic after all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://facebook.com/virginia.pressnell
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Fawks wrote:
I don't understand how any of it was intelligible though, due to her leather-skin-tight-cowl...

Hahahaha. I guess we have to chalk it up to comics requiring some suspension of disbelief...

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
ballpointbanana
Gotham Knight Regular
avatar

Posts : 119
Join date : 2010-09-14

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:19 pm

gallegra wrote:
Fawks wrote:
I don't understand how any of it was intelligible though, due to her leather-skin-tight-cowl...

Hahahaha. I guess we have to chalk it up to comics requiring some suspension of disbelief...

-Gary

Yeah I guess it would make it hard to talk... But, you gotta admit, that was a badass batsuit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:41 pm

ballpointbanana wrote:
But, you gotta admit, that was a badass batsuit.

True...I love that yellow outline for the Bat symbol...

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
avatar

Posts : 247
Join date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:11 pm

gallegra wrote:
ballpointbanana wrote:
But, you gotta admit, that was a badass batsuit.

True...I love that yellow outline for the Bat symbol...

-Gary
Yeah. It was definitely different. I wish Stephanie Brown kept it... And to add on, why in the world would she stitch in purple into her Batgirl suit? She has a hard time throwing the past away, doesn't she?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://facebook.com/virginia.pressnell
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:13 pm

Fawks wrote:
Yeah. It was definitely different. I wish Stephanie Brown kept it...?

Honestly, I'm glad she didn't. That was very Cassandra; dark and minimalist. Stephanie needed her own costume.

Fawks wrote:
And to add on, why in the world would she stitch in purple into her Batgirl suit? She has a hard time throwing the past away, doesn't she?

I see what you're trying to do there haha, but actually Babs presented it to her; it wasn't Steph's idea. It was meant to respect the past image of Batgirl while being her own thing, hence the purple. Which I (and I believe a few of the others from the 'cast) kinda dug.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
avatar

Posts : 247
Join date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:50 pm

gallegra wrote:
Fawks wrote:
Yeah. It was definitely different. I wish Stephanie Brown kept it...?

Honestly, I'm glad she didn't. That was very Cassandra; dark and minimalist. Stephanie needed her own costume.

Fawks wrote:
And to add on, why in the world would she stitch in purple into her Batgirl suit? She has a hard time throwing the past away, doesn't she?

I see what you're trying to do there haha, but actually Babs presented it to her; it wasn't Steph's idea. It was meant to respect the past image of Batgirl while being her own thing, hence the purple. Which I (and I believe a few of the others from the 'cast) kinda dug.

-Gary
Hm.. you do have a point (I guess Babs does as well? Ha.). I just thought it looked awkward. I'm so used to the mandatory colors, then here comes good ole' Stephanie with her purple stretchy-sides.

But I guess I will admit.. I re-read issue 9, I believe, I laughed. Stephanie is a funny girl. She worries a lot, and screams teen-aged girl and not a crime-fighter, but she adds humor. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of her, and I suppose I always will. She even has Oracle helping her out, and she still manages to mess up. I should probably pick up more issues of Batgirl. Her covers are pretty good. Especially with Dustin taking over. I love his work...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://facebook.com/virginia.pressnell
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:27 am

It seems like part of the problem for you with Steph might be the fact that the last Batgirl was the total opposite; dark, quiet, mysterious and violent. Whereas, here comes Stephanie who we know a lot about, is very vocal and chatty, wants to live a normal life and wears more than just black with a few tiny yellow accents. I think if we went straight from Babs to Stephanie it might not have been as much of a shock/disappointment for you. Even though I like her, I can admit that she's a little too silly sometimes...but I guess I'm lucky it doesn't bother me so much.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
avatar

Posts : 247
Join date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:27 pm

gallegra wrote:
It seems like part of the problem for you with Steph might be the fact that the last Batgirl was the total opposite; dark, quiet, mysterious and violent. Whereas, here comes Stephanie who we know a lot about, is very vocal and chatty, wants to live a normal life and wears more than just black with a few tiny yellow accents. I think if we went straight from Babs to Stephanie it might not have been as much of a shock/disappointment for you. Even though I like her, I can admit that she's a little too silly sometimes...but I guess I'm lucky it doesn't bother me so much.

-Gary
I was actually discussing the point you made in that post to my boyfriend, and he agreed. He completely embraces my dislike for Stephanie and the horrifying embarrassment I give to us when we go to the comic book shop.
He thinks so too. He doesn't know a whole lot about comics, but he knows a lot from what I shove down his throat (or endless talking. Whichever you choose to call it.).

He also thinks I'm bitter that Cassie quit being Batgirl and just kinda "gave it up". Which I feel she did. Then he comes a lily type of girl. And she is very similar to Babs. But Babs was enjoyable. She was cute in personality. I feel like they are trying to push Stephanie to be likable or too normal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://facebook.com/virginia.pressnell
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:11 pm

Fawks wrote:
I was actually discussing the point you made in that post to my boyfriend, and he agreed. He completely embraces my dislike for Stephanie and the horrifying embarrassment I give to us when we go to the comic book shop.
He thinks so too. He doesn't know a whole lot about comics, but he knows a lot from what I shove down his throat (or endless talking. Whichever you choose to call it.).

He also thinks I'm bitter that Cassie quit being Batgirl and just kinda "gave it up". Which I feel she did. Then he comes a lily type of girl. And she is very similar to Babs. But Babs was enjoyable. She was cute in personality. I feel like they are trying to push Stephanie to be likable or too normal.

Yeah, I think I'm lucky because I didn't know much about or care for Cain, so it doesn't bother me that the Batgirl book is now fun and light-hearted. And Cass didn't just quit, as it appeared - we're starting to find out it had a bigger purpose, so I don't think it's as big a deal. But if she did just quit, then I agree, that would be really annoying.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Jay Kay
Gotham Knight Reader
avatar

Posts : 53
Join date : 2010-12-17
Age : 28
Location : Arizona

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:56 pm

I like all three of the Batgirls in different ways, really.

Barbara was sort-of a balance between Bruce and Dick at that time--super-smart and capable, mixed with enough snark and sass and gymnastics that she almost annoyed the crooks as throughly as she kicked their asses.

Cassandra was the hard-luck case. In many ways, she was even more messed up than Bruce--at least he had people like Alfred during his childhood to give it some semblance of normalcy. Cassandra had none of that, and a severe mental handicap, but was still able to fight crime and was working to better herself, both as a person and as a crime-fighter. People liked her because she was an under-dog in some senses and we wanted to see her succeed--which was probably the big reason why all her fans got PISSED when they tried to make her a villain.

Steph, now, is the Everyman of the family. She's not as smart as Barbara, who got her degree to be a librarian before she could legally drink and a master computer hacker. She's not as badass a martial artist as Cass, who had become so good she can pretty much read you from your body movements and could actually kick Batman's ass if she wanted to. She was just an above-average teenager with a lot of gutso and will, who wanted to do some good for the world. She's made mistakes, but hell, what teenager hasn't?

What I'm wondering is what how we got into that topic from talking about the Robins...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/jaredk1
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:06 pm

Jay Kay wrote:
I like all three of the Batgirls in different ways, really.

Barbara was sort-of a balance between Bruce and Dick at that time--super-smart and capable, mixed with enough snark and sass and gymnastics that she almost annoyed the crooks as throughly as she kicked their asses.

Cassandra was the hard-luck case. In many ways, she was even more messed up than Bruce--at least he had people like Alfred during his childhood to give it some semblance of normalcy. Cassandra had none of that, and a severe mental handicap, but was still able to fight crime and was working to better herself, both as a person and as a crime-fighter. People liked her because she was an under-dog in some senses and we wanted to see her succeed--which was probably the big reason why all her fans got PISSED when they tried to make her a villain.

Steph, now, is the Everyman of the family. She's not as smart as Barbara, who got her degree to be a librarian before she could legally drink and a master computer hacker. She's not as badass a martial artist as Cass, who had become so good she can pretty much read you from your body movements and could actually kick Batman's ass if she wanted to. She was just an above-average teenager with a lot of gutso and will, who wanted to do some good for the world. She's made mistakes, but hell, what teenager hasn't?

Wow, really good points! I haven't read much about Cassandra, but I kinda gathered that that was the case.

Jay Kay wrote:
What I'm wondering is what how we got into that topic from talking about the Robins...

I think we started talking about Stephanie Brown because she was Robin for a while, and then it just kinda devolved into a Batgirl discussion haha.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
avatar

Posts : 247
Join date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:11 pm

Jay Kay wrote:
Barbara was sort-of a balance between Bruce and Dick at that time--super-smart and capable, mixed with enough snark and sass and gymnastics that she almost annoyed the crooks as throughly as she kicked their asses.

Cassandra was the hard-luck case. In many ways, she was even more messed up than Bruce--at least he had people like Alfred during his childhood to give it some semblance of normalcy. Cassandra had none of that, and a severe mental handicap, but was still able to fight crime and was working to better herself, both as a person and as a crime-fighter. People liked her because she was an under-dog in some senses and we wanted to see her succeed--which was probably the big reason why all her fans got PISSED when they tried to make her a villain.
Babs is a really likable character. I don't like her as much as Oracle though. It seems like all work and no play. But she did go through some physical uhm.. tragedy. I would be a little down too.. and Nightwing being a jerk to her! Oomph! >:c
Anywhoo! Cassie is just a badass lady, and I'm really happy that they are bringing her back again. Even if it's a small cameo in Red Robin.

Jay Kay wrote:
I think we started talking about Stephanie Brown because she was Robin for a while, and then it just kinda devolved into a Batgirl discussion haha.

-Gary
I think it was my fault. Sorry guys. :c
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://facebook.com/virginia.pressnell
Jay Kay
Gotham Knight Reader
avatar

Posts : 53
Join date : 2010-12-17
Age : 28
Location : Arizona

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Fawks wrote:
Babs is a really likable character. I don't like her as much as Oracle though. It seems like all work and no play. But she did go through some physical uhm.. tragedy. I would be a little down too.. and Nightwing being a jerk to her! Oomph! >:c

Yeah--it's pretty obvious that after she was shot by Joker she became more like Bruce than Dick--specifically with his strategic skills, and her ability to create an urban legend, 'cept only whispered by the biggest hacker nerds rather than the slum thugs of the streets.

Fawks wrote:
Anywhoo! Cassie is just a badass lady, and I'm really happy that they are bringing her back again. Even if it's a small cameo in Red Robin.

It's not just that issue, though--Fabian said in a recent interview that she'll be reappearing in an upcoming arc, and Gail Simone has said that both her and The Question will be in Birds of Prey in the near future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/jaredk1
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
avatar

Posts : 1053
Join date : 2009-03-20
Age : 30
Location : Smallville, Florida

PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:31 am

Fawks wrote:
Gallegra wrote:
I think we started talking about Stephanie Brown because she was Robin for a while, and then it just kinda devolved into a Batgirl discussion haha.

-Gary
I think it was my fault. Sorry guys. :c

Hey, no problem, always room for a good tangent Very Happy

Jay Kay wrote:
Fawks wrote:
Anywhoo! Cassie is just a badass lady, and I'm really happy that they are bringing her back again. Even if it's a small cameo in Red Robin.

It's not just that issue, though--Fabian said in a recent interview that she'll be reappearing in an upcoming arc, and Gail Simone has said that both her and The Question will be in Birds of Prey in the near future.

I know, I'm so excited, I'll finally have a chance to be introduced to the character past No Man's Land!

-Gary
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Robin Throne   

Back to top Go down
 
The Robin Throne
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Robin Welch - Own Studio (England)
» Robin Rodgers mark for the gallery
» BATMAN ET ROBIN : Batgirl ( Alicia Silverstone ) 1997
» BATMAN ET ROBIN : robin sonar (Chris O'Donnell ) 1997
» BATMAN MOVIE : Robin ( Burt Ward ) 1966

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Batman: Gotham Knights Online Forum :: GENERAL :: Batman General Discussion-
Jump to: