Batman: Gotham Knights Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Batman: Gotham Knights Online Forum

Welcome to the Gotham Knights Online dedicated community forum. If you're a Batman fan, then come join us, make new friends and talk about the Dark Knight and share your thoughts.

HomeLog inLatest imagesRegister

DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AndrewT
Dark Knight Admin
AndrewT

DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight Empty
PostSubject: DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight   DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi all,

I'm sure you have read the news and the interviews on the main site by now. Just would like to know what all of you think about David Finch's 'Batman: The Dark Knight'.

Personally, I love David Finch's artwork. His visuals are always captivating and enjoyable to look at. But then does Batman really need another new book to begin with? David Finch will also be writing it and I'm always a little apprehensive when an artist takes on dual responsibilities. Look at Tony Daniel's run on Batman. The art was impressive but the story was mediocre.

For me, I have already decided to include this new title into my comic collection. I just hope the story is good and according to the CBR interview, it's going to be a "noir-ish" detective story, which really got me interested in the first place.

There has been talk that DC might shelve/cancel an existing Bat title for Batman: The Dark Knight. Anyone knows anything about this?

Last edited by AndrewT on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
badsoul
Gotham Knight Regular
badsoul

PostSubject: Re: DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight   DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 1:20 am

I very much like the art of David Finch. However I am a bit skeptical when it comes to the writing. As far as I know he has not written anything yet, but DC is letting him write a new ongoing so he must have impressed them which his scripts/ideas.

As for the premise, I think it is very exciting. In this new book we will experience batman dealing with something out of his comfort zone namely the supernatural. Due to this Batman is supposed to get help from Jason Blood/the demon and other probably magic based characters. However Finch has also clarified that he is also trying to write batman as a detective and that the book will indeed be what is called a street level book.

So I am a bit skeptical but also excited for this. I hope the first issue can blow all the skepticism away.

Back to top Go down
Jon Q. Citizen
Gotham Knight Initiated
Jon Q. Citizen

PostSubject: Re: DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight   DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 7:27 pm

David Finch Rocks! Although I wonder if they are really thinking straight to start another ongoing Batman series when the others (other than the main Batman title) aren't selling all that well....but then again, it's the DARK KNIGHT, so it's cool!

It does depress me somewhat since I'm trying to cut my spending in the comic book category, but I suppose that is one of the sacrifices of being a comic geek....lol
Back to top Go down
http://jonqcitizen.blogspot.com/
badsoul
Gotham Knight Regular
badsoul

PostSubject: Re: DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight   DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 5:00 pm

Mr.Vulture wrote:
David Finch Rocks! Although I wonder if they are really thinking straight to start another ongoing Batman series when the others (other than the main Batman title) aren't selling all that well....but then again, it's the DARK KNIGHT, so it's cool!

It does depress me somewhat since I'm trying to cut my spending in the comic book category, but I suppose that is one of the sacrifices of being a comic geek....lol

I think they figured anything with finch on it sells well. And they are probably right. Sales numbers spike when a superstar creator takes over. Rebels for example is a great book, however the creative team while highly talented is just not known enough among fans, so it sells poorly.
Another thing is marketing. Paul Dini's Heart of Hush arc in detective comics was a great story that was not as heavily and frequently marketed as batman rip, so it did not sell as well as rip.
Lastly what realy matters is the break even point. I dont know how many comic books one has to sell to break the bep. Does anybody know that? If so please share.
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight   DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 2:11 pm

I'm kinda disappointed about this. I like David Finch, and I like Batman, but I don't think we need yet another Batman book. Even if they drop one of the other Batman/Gotham comics, it's still a bit much I think. I get the whole reason they have so many Batman and Superman books is because they're their top characters and they'll sell more, but still; drop a few of them and give some other teams/characters some issues too. That's my opinion anyway.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
http://Myspace.com/Garya87
badsoul
Gotham Knight Regular
badsoul

PostSubject: Re: DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight   DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 4:18 pm

gallegra wrote:
I'm kinda disappointed about this. I like David Finch, and I like Batman, but I don't think we need yet another Batman book. Even if they drop one of the other Batman/Gotham comics, it's still a bit much I think. I get the whole reason they have so many Batman and Superman books is because they're their top characters and they'll sell more, but still; drop a few of them and give some other teams/characters some issues too. That's my opinion anyway.

-Gary

They tried that with the red circle books (the shield and the web) but they just did not sell. So instead of focusing on new properties they are now trying to expand their existing brands and since batman is in demand they are producing more bat books. I just hope that the quality of the new book is high enough to justify a purchase.
Back to top Go down
AndrewT
Dark Knight Admin
AndrewT

PostSubject: Re: DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight   DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 2:22 am

badsoul wrote:
They tried that with the red circle books (the shield and the web) but they just did not sell. So instead of focusing on new properties they are now trying to expand their existing brands and since batman is in demand they are producing more bat books. I just hope that the quality of the new book is high enough to justify a purchase.

I agree with you Badsoul.

Batman: Odyssey by Neal Adams was really disappointing for me. It has good looking visuals but the plot and storyline was all over the place. Hopefully, David Finch will do better since he mentioned in the interview that he did get some pointers from Geoff Johns.

Back to top Go down
Jon Q. Citizen
Gotham Knight Initiated
Jon Q. Citizen

PostSubject: Re: DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight   DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 3:41 pm

That is an interesting point BadSoul....the break-even mark. I would venture to say you've hit on the point that has probably led to Dan DiDio's baldness....

I would also wonder if sales will drop on "Streets of Gotham" when this starts, as if fans are picking one over the other because they don't want to pay for both. But it is timed well, with the return of Bruce Wayne and all.....
Back to top Go down
http://jonqcitizen.blogspot.com/
Sergiot0831
Gotham Knight Reader
Sergiot0831

PostSubject: Re: DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight   DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 12:43 am

I can't wait for this series to come out. I think that finch has a perfect style for drawing batman.
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight   DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 10:40 am

Me too! I love the look of Bruce's new Batsuit, and I can't wait!

-Gary
Back to top Go down
http://Myspace.com/Garya87
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight   DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DC Launches New Ongoing Batman: The Dark Knight
Page 1 of 1