Batman: Gotham Knights Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Batman: Gotham Knights Online Forum

Welcome to the Gotham Knights Online dedicated community forum. If you're a Batman fan, then come join us, make new friends and talk about the Dark Knight and share your thoughts.

HomeLog inLatest imagesRegister

Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature?

Go down 
+2
Zur-en-arrh
Batman knows Karate
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Batman knows Karate
Gotham Knight Newbie
Batman knows Karate

Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature? Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature?   Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 7:50 am

Batman's roots are deep in the fertile ground of one of America's few indigenous art forms; however over the years there have been many anthologies, biographies, paperbacks, children's books etc. involving the Dark Knight. I would love to know what if any are your favorites and perhaps there are some unheard of ones to be discovered as well.

The first one I'd like to mention is Batman Unmasked : Analyzing a Cultural Icon by Will Brooker.

Has anyone read this? I'd love to hear any opinions before I tell you mine!
Back to top Go down
Zur-en-arrh

Zur-en-arrh

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature?   Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 8:16 am

I really enjoyed "batman & philosophy: dark knight of the soul" (Barnes & Noble)

a collection of essays that aren't too heavy or academical, but more rhetorical ... actually tackles a lot of issues that I'm sure every Batman fan has often thought about more than twice
Back to top Go down
Batman knows Karate
Gotham Knight Newbie
Batman knows Karate

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature?   Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 12:40 pm

A great addition! Not too academic, which can turn the average reader away but more accesible and focus upon topics that as Zurr En Arrh says has crossed the mind of a fan more than once. A personal favorite was written by "Bat Tzu".
Back to top Go down
jondoe297
Dark Knight Admin
jondoe297

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature?   Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 1:53 pm

The only other non-comic Batman related book I've read was Batman: Unauthorized - not groundbreaking but it covers a lot of good topics in a collection of essays.

Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature? Batman11

I saw "batman & philosophy: dark knight of the soul" was availble in audio format on iTunes?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gothamknightsonline.com
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature?   Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 9:49 pm

Wow, I have to check all of these out! I have a few books about the science of superheroes, but there's not much about Batman in there - more about the super-powered heroes. I've been meaning to get a book that's something like "Superman on the Couch: The Psychology of Superheroes" or something like that, but I haven't gotten it yet.

I thought you were talking about novels and whatnot, and I read one or two when I was a child that I loved to death - I dunno where I got them or where they went. One was something about the Joker being a pirate I believe, and another had the Joker killing people and leaving them in bat-suits for Batman to find - not unlike "The Dark Knight". I wish I could remember what their titles were...they were actual books, and not childish - but I have no idea how to find them. I guess I could Google 'em, but it's too late right now. Maybe tomorrow.

I've also read the novel of No Man's Land, which I loved. But nothing as cool as the one you guys mentioned haha.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
http://Myspace.com/Garya87
iod1974
Gotham Knight Reader
iod1974

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature?   Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 12:59 pm

The History Channel made a short doc about all this, I think it is one of the bonus features on the "Dark Knight" Blu-ray. I'll have to check some of these books out. Does it say anything about Psychology of Batman fans?
Back to top Go down
jondoe297
Dark Knight Admin
jondoe297

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature?   Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 4:46 am

iod1974 wrote:
The History Channel made a short doc about all this, I think it is one of the bonus features on the "Dark Knight" Blu-ray. I'll have to check some of these books out. Does it say anything about Psychology of Batman fans?

Yeah it covers a lot of fan perception and interpritation throughout the book. It's a good read.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gothamknightsonline.com
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature?   Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 12:39 pm

jondoe297 wrote:
iod1974 wrote:

Yeah it covers a lot of fan perception and interpritation throughout the book. It's a good read.

That sounds really awesome...it's on my list!

-Gary
Back to top Go down
Jay Kay
Gotham Knight Reader
Jay Kay

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature?   Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Haven't read any of the non-fiction stuff--though I DEFINITELY want to now--but two novels I liked were:

Batman: No Man's Land, by Greg Rucka -- great adaptation of the series
Batman: Dead White, by John Shirley -- very cool original Year One era take on Batman as he's fighting Neo-Nazis on steroids.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jaredk1
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature?   Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 10:24 am

Jay Kay wrote:
Batman: No Man's Land, by Greg Rucka -- great adaptation of the series

Agreed! I mentioned that up above, but nobody said anything...glad to find another fan of that awesome novelization.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature?   Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Non -comic Batman Literature?
Page 1 of 1