Batman: Gotham Knights Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Batman: Gotham Knights Online Forum

Welcome to the Gotham Knights Online dedicated community forum. If you're a Batman fan, then come join us, make new friends and talk about the Dark Knight and share your thoughts.

HomeLog inLatest imagesRegister

The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman

Go down 
+6
iod1974
Batman knows Karate
Jon Q. Citizen
gallegra
badsoul
AndrewT
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AndrewT
Dark Knight Admin
AndrewT

The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman Empty
PostSubject: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Hi all,

As some of you have already heard, Jim Lee and JMS has decided to update the costume design of our famed super heroine. Just thought it might be a good topic for discussion here on the forum.

Personally, I think the redesign is refreshing and really trendy. It does make Diana look more youthful. However, I feel that part of Wonder Woman's iconic identity is lost in the new costume. Perhaps I'm so used to looking at the current one. If I was shown this new design without anyone telling me that the person in costume was Diana, I would have thought that she was Diana's younger sister or cousin. LOL!

Anyways, what do all of you think? I've attached Wonder Woman's current costume and the new one for your comparison.

Current Costume
The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman Wonder10

New Updated Costume
The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman Newwwc12
Back to top Go down
badsoul
Gotham Knight Regular
badsoul

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 3:26 pm

I like the new costume alot, and especially Don Kramer's (the current wonder woman artist) take on it.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f37/15/37/59/02/wonder11.jpg
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 4:02 pm

You know what, Badsoul, that cover you posted made me lighten up to it a bit. It's more modern, it's still attractive, and looks like it has some more padding/protection that a warrior would want. Plus, it still kinda has the American motif; a blue jacket with stars on the shoulder and still the red shirt. Still has the tiara, gauntlets, belt/lasso. I can dig it.

That being said, I feel like a little facelift would be good for a bunch of the DC characters. Superman and Batman both couldn't be hurt by a more modern touch. Particularly Superman, since one of the big criticisms of the character is that he's too old fashioned.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
http://Myspace.com/Garya87
badsoul
Gotham Knight Regular
badsoul

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 12:36 am

@ gallegra: yes an update every now and then would be great. However I think they are tweaking batman and superman in the upcoming earth one graphic novels instead of the main continuity. Non the less I am very exited for Gary Frank's modified batman design: http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/36653/1053931-new_batman_earth_one_super.jpg

I think that it is a sleek and nice design. the only thing that is bothering me is the belt. But all in all I like it alot.

As for wonder woman, I like the new direction. The little story in wonder woman# 600 ,written by JMS and illustrated by Kramer, was great and left me wanting for more. Sometimes change is necessary to advance a character. And in the case of wonder woman it is long overdue.
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 11:20 am

I thought of the Earth one graphic novels as I was writing the above post. I'm disappointed though that it won't happen in current continuity, but oh well.

_Gary
Back to top Go down
AndrewT
Dark Knight Admin
AndrewT

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 12:56 am

badsoul wrote:
As for wonder woman, I like the new direction. The little story in wonder woman# 600 ,written by JMS and illustrated by Kramer, was great and left me wanting for more. Sometimes change is necessary to advance a character. And in the case of wonder woman it is long overdue.

I guess you are right Badsoul. I'm pretty sure JMS knows what he is doing but the amount of "hate mail" that DC received was overwhelming! Looks like the majority of fans didn't approval of the new costume. For me, I still have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I guess we'll just to have wait and see what JMS has in store for us.

Back to top Go down
AndrewT
Dark Knight Admin
AndrewT

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 7:00 pm

Here's a pretty solid article on Wonder Woman's new costume. Really interesting!

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2010/07/01/committed-jim-lees-lack-of-wonder/

Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 9:45 pm

I'm just going to be totally honest; I really don't care much about Wonder Woman's costume change. It still has the American colors/motif, albeit muted. If that was removed completely, then I would be mildly irritated. But otherwise, I think the costume's kinda cool looking.

That being said, if it was Superman who had a total costume revamp, I might be pretty ticked. Well, actually, no I don't think I would. I remember when that infamous first picture of Brandon Routh as Superman came out I was pretty irritated and could've pointed out 10 things that I didn't like from one picture, but now for the most part I would welcome that for Superman. Or, at least, some sort of update.

I guess my fire and brimstone days are over lol.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
Jon Q. Citizen
Gotham Knight Initiated
Jon Q. Citizen

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 7:01 pm

I like the new outfit a lot more than the old one....the old one is just "played out"....this will give her a unique look among the DC Women characters. It makes her seem modern, yet keeps all the "catch-eye" attributes that are immediately identifiable to Wonder Woman.

I think a new look, a new writer going in a new direction may just resurrect the franchise.
Back to top Go down
http://jonqcitizen.blogspot.com/
Batman knows Karate
Gotham Knight Newbie
Batman knows Karate

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 10:15 am

While I agree that an update is welcome, Jim Lee's sense of costuming is too dated. He is stuck in the 80s apparently and the link to the article above explains it better than I could.
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 9:56 pm

I get what the woman in that article was saying, but the fact of the matter is, I don't care what she has to say. I don't know about fashion, but I can see why Wonder Woman would wear something like that. It harkens to her real costume, but yet at the same time provides a bit more protection through the shoulder gauntlets/guards/whatever and the leggings (which looks to me, at least in Jim Lee's version, to be like the Dark Knight costume - segmented kevlar plates, to allow for movement but be more protected than just pants alone. Granted, that seems to be missed on both the fashion-lady and the dude who drew the costume for the cover that was posted above.

Also, she kinda defeated herself in her opening argument; clothing has to represent the person to the world and be functional for whatever they're doing. I think this costume does that; she's obviously a warrior/fighter, has a connction to the USA (her home-away-from-home), and a strong woman. Plus, it kinda makes sense that Diana's costume would be a bit eclectic/outdated; isn't part of her character that she's kinda a fish out of water when she's in the "normal" world? Maybe I'm wrong (because I haven't read a Wonder Woman comic, much less a current one), but isn't she supposed to be a little aloof to the ways of the civilized world?

-Gary
Back to top Go down
AndrewT
Dark Knight Admin
AndrewT

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 10:12 pm

There will always be those who like the revamped costume and those who think that the Jim Lee could have designed something more updated, more 21st century looking. For me, I still have mixed feelings about the new look.

Whatever the fans think, the story is obviously more important. We'll see what JMS has in store for us in the upcoming issues of the comic.

Back to top Go down
iod1974
Gotham Knight Reader
iod1974

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 3:19 pm

The new Wonder Woman comics have been great. I have really enjoyed them, great writing and art. Costume dosen't really matter.
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 8:23 am

I'd like to read those, I keep forgetting. Maybe over the winter break between semesters I'll get to it.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
Fawks

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 5:22 pm

In my opinion, I really don't like it. I'm not an avid reader or die-hard fan of Wonder Woman or her family (I do like Donna Troy. Don't get me wrong. I really liked her as Wonder Woman for a bit. She's just.. different than Diana.).

It's really hard to adjust to Wonder's new costume. I mean, pants? I'm so used to seeing her in little skirts, and those short shorts and now she's "modern". Looks more like someone representing Wonder Woman rather than an update.

Maybe it's the jacket, or the jeans that cover the shoes. Something's off.... but updates are always nice for a superhero.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/virginia.pressnell
ballpointbanana
Gotham Knight Regular
ballpointbanana

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 12:03 am

Fawks wrote:

Maybe it's the jacket, or the jeans that cover the shoes. Something's off.... but updates are always nice for a superhero.

maybe she needs to take an article of clothing off!?
Back to top Go down
iod1974
Gotham Knight Reader
iod1974

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 9:11 am

I can't wait to see Bruce's reaction to the new Wonder Woman.
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 1:12 pm

iod1974 wrote:

That will be a good moment!

-Gary
Back to top Go down
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
Fawks

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 pm

gallegra wrote:
iod1974 wrote:

That will be a good moment!

-Gary
Really? I see him as the type of man who wouldn't notice, hah!

ballpointbanana wrote:
Fawks wrote:

maybe she needs to take an article of clothing off!?
I think that's asking too much! She started out as wearing not as much, and now.. she fully covered. Very odd. You think it would have started the reversed way.
Back to top Go down
ballpointbanana
Gotham Knight Regular
ballpointbanana

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 11:15 pm

You see that makes me wonder if it will last?
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 11:08 am

ballpointbanana wrote:

Hehe, WONDER if it will last. Yeah, I dunno...I guess we'll see.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
Fawks
Gotham City PD - Rookie
Fawks

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:08 pm

gallegra wrote:
ballpointbanana wrote:

Hehe, WONDER if it will last. Yeah, I dunno...I guess we'll see.

-Gary
That made me giggle! I don't think it will. But that's just my input.
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 12:25 am

It probably won't...but I can't claim that I could come up with anything better...not much of a fashion person. But I can say I like the idea of the jacket with the shoulder pads and whatnot, adding a little "armor".

-Gary
Back to top Go down
iod1974
Gotham Knight Reader
iod1974

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 8:54 am

Pants make much more sense. I know it is not real life but you would think running around in a bathing suit bottom would present major problems with wedgies and camel toe.
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 11:21 am

iod1974 wrote:
Pants make much more sense. I know it is not real life but you would think running around in a bathing suit bottom would present major problems with wedgies and camel toe.

Agreed! Not to mention the sheer fact that your legs have absolutely no protection, whatsoever.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman   The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Modern Up-To-Date Wonder Woman
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next