Batman: Gotham Knights Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Batman: Gotham Knights Online Forum

Welcome to the Gotham Knights Online dedicated community forum. If you're a Batman fan, then come join us, make new friends and talk about the Dark Knight and share your thoughts.

HomeLog inLatest imagesRegister

what comics are you reading right now?

Go down 
+5
jondoe297
badsoul
AndrewT
gallegra
billyk
9 posters
AuthorMessage
billyk

billyk

what comics are you reading right now? Empty
PostSubject: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 7:13 pm

Just wondering what comics everyone is reading, here is my list, in no order at all: Batman - Return of Bruce Wayne, DC Universe - Legacies, Detective Comics, Batman, Dracula, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Incredible Hulk, Joker's Asylum, Justice League of America, Justice Society of America, JSA All-Stars, Justice League - Generation Lost, Justice League - Rise of Arsenal, Legion of Super-Heroes, Magdalena, Mighty Crusaders, Red Hood - Lost Days, Superman-Batman, Superman, Tarot, Avengers, X-Men Forever, Ultimate X, Zatanna, Titans, Adventure Comics, Avengers Academy, Avengers Prime, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Batman and Robin, Red Robin, Gotham City Sirens, Batgirl, Brave and the Bold, Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe.
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 10:19 pm

Good for you, sir! I wish I had the time to read more than just the few DC things I get to. I mean, I guess I could probably make time...but anyways.

I currently (try to) keep up with Superman, Action Comics, Adventure Comics, Supergirl, Batman, Detective Comics, Azrael, The Brave and the Bold (been meaning to read the comic based on the cartoon, too), Batgirl, Batman and Robin, Birds of Prey, Batman: Return of Bruce Wayne, Red Hood: Lost Days, Gotham City Sirens, Red Robin, Streets of Gotham, Superman/Batman, DC Universe - Legacies, Outsiders, Justice League, Justice Society, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Justice League: Generation Lost, JSA All Stars, Justice League: Rise of Arsenal, Green Arrow, Teen Titans, Titans, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Zatanna, Legion of Superheroes, Green Hornet, and whatever other old stories or trades seem interesting at the time.

I might have missed one or two, this is all just stream of consciousness and it's kinda late for me.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
http://Myspace.com/Garya87
AndrewT
Dark Knight Admin
AndrewT

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi Billy,

For me, it's strictly the Bat-titles at the moment. I'm following Batman and Robin, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman: Streets of Gotham and Birds of Prey.

Back to top Go down
badsoul
Gotham Knight Regular
badsoul

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 12:53 am

I read all the bat titles. Further I also read power girl , booster gold, brave and the bold and I am going to start reading green arrow because it has been recently relaunched and J.T. Krul is writing it. In addition I am looking forward to reading superman as J. Michael Straczynski is writing it.
Sad thing is as a trade reader I will have to wait forever to get my hands on the titles that are being published now.
Back to top Go down
badsoul
Gotham Knight Regular
badsoul

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 12:58 am

Oh almost forgot, About a week ago I bought the Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) trades and was very pleasantly suprised. These are some fantastic comics! If you want to read a fun and engaging comic, pick this one up.
Back to top Go down
jondoe297
Dark Knight Admin
jondoe297

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 3:42 am

I'm reading most of the Batman titles especially all the flagship titles. I also dip in and out of a few Marvel books now and again - I recently picked up some of the Hulk titles becuase the artwork was fantastic.

I'm really trying to go back and read some earlier titles Golden Age / Silver Age collections. But time isn't on my side these day's so its difficult to catch up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gothamknightsonline.com
scarygarrey
Gotham Knight Initiated
scarygarrey

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 3:47 am

Wow. I'm with Bob on this one. Just no time. I have been pretty much reading the major Batman related titles and that's pretty much it for me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/garreyadams
TheXtremisT
Gotham Knight Reader
TheXtremisT

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 12:10 pm

Well seen as though I'm on a lowly minimal spending budget due to being a student, I can only afford a couple of comics a month

I get Amazing Spider-man every week it is out, as well as Batman every month
Recently, thanks to my job at a comic book shop, I've been reading past issues of Bman, plus I've got my hands on Return of BW, Arkham Reborn, Widening Gyre and a couple of Streets of Gotham

But My collection is mainly Figures of Batman and Marvel Legends
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 9:58 pm

First of all, I should add that my list includes titles that I follow, but might miss a few months and have to catch up. I don't really read all of those titles every time they come out (and I couldn't afford it, either).

badsoul wrote:

I also read power girl.

How is Power Girl? I've been meaning to check that out, as I read all of the Superman books and she's kinda connected...

badsoul wrote:

as a trade reader I will have to wait forever to get my hands on the titles that are being published now.

You could always go to the digital scans. Many old titles are 100% legal, as opposed to the torrents of new comics.

badsoul wrote:
About a week ago I bought the Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) trades and was very pleasantly suprised

I really like the character too! Those books are a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
badsoul
Gotham Knight Regular
badsoul

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 6:33 am

@ gallegra: The first 12 issues of power girl are fantastic. They are written by Jimmy Palmiotti and drawn by Amanda conner. These comics are a fun and fresh take on the character. Also these first 12 issues were self contained and did not tie in into any event or crossover.

Sadly the creative team of Palmiotti and Conner decided to leave the book after issue 12. Beginning with issue 13 a new creative team, consisting of Judd Winick and Sami Basri, will be taking over.

However before leaving Palmiotti and Conner tied everything up. So the first 12 issues are a complete story and highly recommendable (they are collected in two trades). I also think that any one who enjoyed the new blue beetle will enjoy power girl as it conveys the same level of pure comic fun.
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 7:44 am

That's really cool, I'll have to check that out! I remember before it came out they had little 5-6 page Power Girl previews at the back of the book, and I'd been meaning to look it up.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
jondoe297
Dark Knight Admin
jondoe297

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 10:57 am

Power Gril = biggest chest the comic world!!! Its a bit silly sometimes, she seems like a great character though.
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 26, 2010 10:32 pm

jondoe297 wrote:
Power Gril = biggest chest the comic world!!!

I feel like, if anything, that's all she's known for by most people haha. But I've always been interested in the character.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
jondoe297
Dark Knight Admin
jondoe297

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 5:22 am

Which is a shame, because what I've read he in she's been a great character
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 10:44 am

It really is. That's why people like Gail Simone and Ivory Madison are great, because they try to downplay the sexuality of comics, so that characters are enjoyed for more than their chesticles.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
billyk

billyk

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 11:03 am

The issues I have read by the old creative team were all fun reads, not a big fan of Winnick, so I do not have much faith that that will continue.
The whole size of Power Girl's chest thing started out as a joke by Wally Wood when he was inking and later penciling All-Star Comics back in the seventies. I believe it was when DC editorial had them remove the "boob window" so he kept making her chest bigger and bigger in the art to see if they would catch it. The size of her chest was not really an issue until Giffin and Sears started handling the character in JLE. Giffin had worked with Wood on All-Star so he knew about the joke and continued it on, if you look at her appearances between Wood and JLE, she was pretty much on par with most female comics characters in this area.

Last edited by billyk on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gallegra
Dark Knight Admin
gallegra

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 11:31 am

Interesting, thanks for that Billyk! I remembered hearing it was a joke at first, but I never heard the whole story behind it.

-Gary
Back to top Go down
badsoul
Gotham Knight Regular
badsoul

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 2:27 pm

@billyk: interesting. I did not know that! Thanks for the history lesson.
Back to top Go down
Boozad
Gotham Knight Regular
Boozad

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 2:56 pm

The moderns I've been reading lately are:

Batman
'Tec
Batman & Robin
Streets of Gotham
The Walking Dead
Chew
Shuddertown
Greek Street
Choker
Locke & Key
30 Days of Night

All of which I'd highly recommend!
Back to top Go down
jondoe297
Dark Knight Admin
jondoe297

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm toying with the idea of reading the Walking Dead in prep for the TV series... is it any good. I just wish it was in colour?
Back to top Go down
Boozad
Gotham Knight Regular
Boozad

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 3:47 pm

jondoe297 wrote:
I'm toying with the idea of reading the Walking Dead in prep for the TV series... is it any good. I just wish it was in colour?

I couldn't put it down once I started reading it. You can pick up the compendiums pretty cheap online, there's a place in the UK that sells them at huge discounts with free shipping worldwide. I recently sold my #1 CGC 9.8 for $600 as we moved house and I needed some quick funds. I'm probably going to sell my raw run now and just stick to the compendiums, but I won't stop reading it, it's too good.
Back to top Go down
badsoul
Gotham Knight Regular
badsoul

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 4:47 pm

jondoe297 wrote:

Its realy good but the subject matter and the tone of the series are very depressing. Thats the only reason why I quit reading it.
Back to top Go down
Jon Q. Citizen
Gotham Knight Initiated
Jon Q. Citizen

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 3:58 pm

I collect Graphic Novels rather than the individual monthlies, but here's my list:

Batman (including Batman, Streets of Gotham, & BM and Robin), The Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, GL Corps, Superman/Batman, Superman (just the main Supes title, avoiding any other "supe" title that stars someone else), Hulk (until Jeff Loeb leaves), & Elephantmen.
Back to top Go down
http://jonqcitizen.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what comics are you reading right now?   what comics are you reading right now? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what comics are you reading right now?
Page 1 of 1